1. Members will maintain high standards of honesty, integrity and impartiality, free from
any personal considerations, favoritism or partisan demands.
2. Members will be courteous and considerate when dealing with the public, realizing that
we serve the public.
3. Members will be courteous and professional in all ATD social media interaction.
4. Members will maintain mutual respect and professional cooperation in their relationships
with other ATD members.
5. Members will act cordially and professionally toward all other registered therapy dog
teams regardless of registry.
6. Members will be firm, fair and consistent in the performance of their volunteer duties
and shall treat others with dignity, respect and compassion, void of all retribution,
harassment or abuse.
7. Members will conduct themselves in a manner that will not bring discredit or
embarrassment to the organization when performing their volunteer duties.
8. Members will report without reservation any witnessed infractions of ATD Rules and
Regulations or unethical behavior that could affect either members or the integrity of
9. Members will not abuse their position, education or professional title(s).
10. Members will not directly or indirectly solicit from anyone anything of economic value,
such as a gift, gratuity or favor, for their volunteer services.
11. Members will not use the ATD name, logo or slogan without approval from the
12. Members will not discriminate against any person, facility employee or any member of
the public on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability or national
13. Members will not sexually harass or condone sexual harassment with or against any
14. Members will not misrepresent their therapy dogs as service dogs for the purpose of
gaining public access to planes, restaurants, public buildings, stores, etc.
15. Handlers who want to take their therapy dogs into places that normally allow only
service dogs MUST explain that their dogs are therapy dogs, not service dogs, AND that
they do not have legal access rights like service dogs.
16. Members who choose to engage in behaviors/activities outside of the guidelines without
an approved exception must remove the official red-heart shaped ATD tag from the
dog’s collar and notify the facility supervisor that ATD insurance is not in effect for the
duration of that behavior/activity.